This project, by Hiring Our Heroes in collaboration with the Institute of Veterans and Military Families at Syracuse University and in partnership with Starbucks and with the support of the Starbucks Foundation, looked at the impact of employment, unemployment, and underemployment on the mental health and wellbeing of today’s military spouses.
Key findings included:
- Employment positively impacts wellbeing
- The duration of unemployment affects wellbeing
- Employed respondents report higher aspects of self-esteem and flourishing
- The type of employment matters
- Employment enhances family relationships and quality of life
- Maintaining steady employment is difficult