Today is National Book Lovers Day. In the spirit of the holiday, the team at Hiring Our Heroes has compiled a list of our staff’s top ten book recommendations.
Each book is written for a different purpose, whether it is to invoke emotion, enlighten, inform, or simply entertain. Reading contributes to a well-rounded, well-versed public with knowledge of a wide range of subjects, including the skill set and motivation necessary to combat the job market. Our diverse reading choices also make for a more well-rounded, well-versed team.
Books help us to recognize we are not alone in our challenges and can highlight parallels to personal experiences, including the power of resiliency and determination while seeking employment. Transitioning out of the military, seeking employment following a move, and changing career paths can be intimidating moments, but through reading we can learn skills, concepts, and find motivation to work towards our career goals. Books embody themes that translate to our everyday lives, and additionally, make great ice breakers at networking events!
We hope you enjoy our recommendations and learn something new!
Team HOH’s Picks:
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- The Boys in the Boat by James Brown
- Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action by Simon Sinek
- Decision Points by George W. Bush.
- The 5 Second Rule: Transform Your Life, Work, and Confidence with Everyday Courage by Mel Robbins
- Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Angela Duckworth
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
- Contagious by Jonah Berger
- Pivot: The Only Move That Matters is Your Next One by Jenny Blake
- Body of Work: Finding the Thread That Ties Your Story Together by Pamela Slim