This project, by Hiring Our Heroes in collaboration with Burning Glass Technologies, Grow with Google, and Google.org, examined entrepreneurship, remote work, and upskilling as drivers of economic success for military spouses.
Key findings included:
- Military spouses face under- and unemployment challenges that contribute to a loss of talent in our all-volunteer force.
- Navigating the resources to find employment opportunities can be a challenge for military spouses.
- Entrepreneurship in the form of both business ownership and self-employment are viable options for military spouses.
- While there was evidence of skills mismatches between military spouses and employment opportunities, our findings show opportunities within in-demand career areas that match military spouses’ skills.
- Military spouses in our research were both highly educated and highly likely to pursue additional training or education.